[AMPS] ?? on 3-500Zs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ?? on 3-500Zs
From: zeitler@ibm.net (zeitler@ibm.net)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 07:51:32 -0700

>Hi All,
>    I have a question on using a Eimac 3-500Z  with a 3-500
>from China. I am going to put them into a Kenwood TL-922.
>Would I run into any problems doing this?

Hi Boyd,
I just made a visit to RF Parts in San Marcos this past wednesday. I will be
procuring a new 3-500Z but I am still not sure which brand. The chinese
tubes labeled "RF Parts Co." have an unconditional warantee for the first
year and pro-rated the next year. New price is $120 each.

They also have Amperex which are made in France. They sell for $190 per
bottle and have a 90 day unconditional warantee.

They also carry NOS Eimac 3-500s for $220 each. I do not remember what the
warantee was.

I asked the salesman which brand had the lowest return rate and he said by a
wide margin the Amperex. He strongly recommended if I was to buy new then do
NOT buy their own brand or the Eimac--go with the Amperex. Keep in mind the
return rate for the "RF Parts" chinese tubes is very low, much less than 5%.
Interesting enough he said the company sees more returns on the Eimac than
the other two.

73s

Lane Zeitler
Ku7i
San Diego

I will probably go with the Amperex tube.