[AMPS] measuring meter shunt resistance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] measuring meter shunt resistance
From: wb8jkr@juno.com (Mark S Graalman)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 05:46:50 EDT
  Take a low voltage supply on the order of 12 volts or so and tie it to
the shunt through a couple hundred ohms, measure the current draw through
and voltage drop across the shunt and apply ohm's law. Make sure the
shunt
is disconnected from the rest of the metering circuit.
 I usually double the required shunt value and use a adjustable series
pot (10 turn)
between the shunt and the meter ( a series multiplier) then the pot can
be used to
calibrate the meter. The higher effective "R" across the meter movement
also allows
for faster meter action.

Mark  WB8JKR