[AMPS] N type/PL259

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] N type/PL259
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 99 10:48:04 -0500
>Is that a 5/8 by 24 Unified thread form with a 60 degree angle, or a
>Whitworth 55 degree thread form?

OK, according to the spec sheet, it says UNEF-2B on the plug (male) and
UNEF-2A on the jack (Female).  I think that is Unified thread, right?

>I'm told that there are antennas and things coming out of Taiwan where
>they've tried to produce the N type and PL259 threads on a metric lathe; as
>a result, the errors build up and prevent you screwing on the connector. Be
>warned!

Perhaps, Peter, you have just solved a problem that has been bugging me
and dogging me for a bit.

We sell some coaxial relays into a very large radio manufacturer nearby.
They were having some problems with one of our relays a while back.  Some
N-connectors would not screw onto the relay.  You'd get about two turns
and the thing would lock up.  Yet, you could take another cable and
attach it to the relay just fin.  The funny thing is you could take the
cable that gave you problems and attach it to a different N-connector and
things would work then.

We figured it must have been a tolerance issue somewhere and the basic
conclusion was that it was a problem with the N-connector on the cable
assembly (we checked the thread pitch and tolerances on our relay).  The
manufacturer of the N-connector (a big European company) never as far as
I know verified the tolerances of their connectors.

Eventually the problem went away.  But perhaps someone turned a batch of
N-connectors on a metric lathe and depending on the tolerances of the
mating connector, you could have a problem.

Interesting!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na