[AMPS] Peak reading vs True peak

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Peak reading vs True peak
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:23:46 -0700

>>In tuning high power amps, a CW signal will drive the watt meter to a
>>given level while reading the PO on the average watts scale of the meter
>>(Autek WM-1).
>
>Peak and average power for a CW signal is identical.

?  ... only if the anode-supply is regulated.  For a garden-variety
amplfier with an unregulated anode-supply, an oscilloscope indicates more
RF peak volts at the beginning of a dash than it does at the end.  On my
SB-220, the difference is more than 5%, and so is the HV sag.

>>Then switch the watt meter to "peak", and modulating with a SSB note,
>>the peak level is not much higher. The amp has 3, 3CX800A's, and should
>>carry max PO. Is it?
>>

>A lot depends here.  First of all how good is your peak reading meter?
>How fast is it?  SSB voice peaks are pretty short.  My Daiwa has a peak
>hold function and using that, my peak power is the same as on CW.  Also,
>how strong are you modulating?  Is your mic gain set correctly?
>
>>Also, I have noticed some watt meters advertising TRUE peak power
>>readings, like the new Amertron AWM-30. Is there a difference between
>>peak power and True peak power?
>
>Sounds like MFJ-style advertising.

?  amen, Jon.   .

>> Am I reading the real SSB power, and is
>>there a needle delay on the upswing of the plate meter and the peak
>>power meters?
>
>Sure there's a needle delay.  That's why you really can't see peak power
>on a normal meter.  The movement is too slow to catch the peak.  I think
>a peak meter will typically have some sort of detector and dampening
>circuit in it that will allow detection of the peak and will remember it
>after the peak is passed.
>
>Bottom line is if you are modulating correctly, your SSB peak and CW peak
>powers should be the same.

?  true enough, Jon.

Rich...