[AMPS] re: 4cx1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] re: 4cx1000
From: w7iuv@axtek.com (Larry Molitor)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:57:23 +0100
At 10:24 AM 6/23/99 -0600, Gerard  VE5FF wrote:

>The point is that my introduction to HF amp construction was gratifying,
>and I would not hesitate to use any tube from the 4cx family.

Hi Gerard,

Glad it all worked out for you. I never meant to say it couldn't be done,
just that it wasn't worth my time to do it. After all those years of
putting up with that tubes idiosyncrasies, I knew how to make it work. It
just didn't seem like a good use of resources for a puny 1100 -1200 watts
out. I can do that with a pair of $5 813's and not even have to worry about
a blower.

I never had a problem with VHF parasitics at all. One tube had exceptional
gain and it would buzz in-band with 3kv anode supply when all my others
were well behaved. How many have you tried? Might be in for a suprise some
day. I hope not, but then you just never know.....

The 4CX1000A is not anything like the rest of the 4CX family of tubes. If
you study the Eimac data sheets you can see that. The others in the family
that I have used are well behaved and easy to use.

I still have the tubes and socket. I will someday try them on 6 meters
where it makes more sense to use something like that. (and at a much lower
power level!)

73 & have fun!

Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@arrl.net