[AMPS] Winding high power xmit toroids

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Winding high power xmit toroids
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:13:24 +0100
Lane,

My response is:

        >1. Do the two toroid cores need to be insulated from each other or
can I
        >just place them tightly next to each other and then wrap them as a
package?

I figure just tape them together - it's what I've done, but admittedly only
in a 400 watt commercial rig.

        >2. What is the best thing to use to hold them together as one
piece? Some
        >kind of fiberglass tape? Can I buy the stuff at Home Depot?

Fibreglass tape should be OK. I don't know if Home Depot keep it. Over here,
we have thin (5 thousandths of an inch)
Teflon tape used by plumbers for sealing screw on fittings. It sticks by
electrostatic attraction, but works fine for wrapping toroids.

        >3. I am using teflon insulated wire. Do I need to insulate the
cores before applying the wire?

Depends how good the insulation is, and how many volts you're going to put
on it. If you've wrapped the cores well with fibreglass or Teflon tape (or
both), it should be OK.

73

Peter G3RZP