[AMPS] Re: Winding QRO Toroids

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Winding QRO Toroids
From: royanjoy@ncn.net (Roy Koeppe)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:18:31 -0500
Lane wrote:

"I am beginning the process of winding some toroid coils that are going to
be
used in a 1500 watt hf amp. The cores are T-225 and are supposedly good for
1500 watts but I figure to be safe I will use two sandwiched together.
Questions:"

Stacked T-225's seem awkward to work with. The T-400A is what I am using in
a single-band 80M amp (and sometimes for 160M when I change it to top band).
QRO tank service is a demanding application for powdered iron toroids in L1
position. I use glass tape, double layered and enameled #10 or #12. Runs
cool at 1.5 KW out with Pi-L and Q=10. L2 is two stacked T-200-2 no
insulation between them, but glass taped together.

Have fun. Let us know if there is any heating in the T-225's--I'll enter it
in my notebook.

73,    Roy     K6XK