[AMPS] Cathode strapped to filaments pros/cons

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cathode strapped to filaments pros/cons
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 08:08:40 -0700

>I noticed that on some 8877 amps they tie the cathode to one side of the
>filament, then feed the cathode bias into the filament. What is the purpose
>of doing this, rather than letting the cathode float?

?  To avoid the possibility of breaking down the fil./heater insulation
during a glitch.
Another problem is that If a heater/cathode arc takes place, it is
possible that the heater wire can be severed.

>I also notice the same practice with AB1 tetrodes, i have tried both methods
>and they both seem to work. Is there some sort of secret to all this?
>
>I would like to know since i am building a new 220mhz 8877 project.

?  Above 30-MHz, the heater is tied to the cathode, and the heater is fed
through a choke.  .

-  later, Bill

Rich...