[AMPS] RJ-1 relay etc

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RJ-1 relay etc
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:39:57 -0400
For what it's worth, here's the method I use to ensure proper CW QSK
sequencing and to avoid hot-switching.  Although all but one of my amps is
protected from hot-switching, it's still good, cheap insurance and has
worked flawlessly for me.

I created a second open-collector switched transistor output on my external
keyer.  The open collector is then run in parallel with the transceiver's
amp switching line.  In essence, the added keyer line ensures proper closure
on the leading edge, then the rig's T/R sequencing takes it from there to
ensure that the amp line is released after the trailing waveform edge.  This
"bussed" arrangement combines four transceiver's key lines with four
amplifiers.  Now, no matter what rig or amp I'm using, the timing is perfect
and my Oscilloscope confirms this.  Hot switching is forever gone.

-Paul, W9AC