[AMPS] 4CX10000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4CX10000
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:39:39 -0700

hello, Alek

>G'day All,
>              Just noticed this ad for 4CX10000 tubes for sale. They are
>used and are $600.00 Australian each. ($395.00 US)

?  A good price if they have ok emission, Alek.  However, on the subject
of good manners, contesting's dirty little secret is that there are some
top contestors who use the 4CX10,000D in contests, who nevertheless sign
a statement that they ran legal power in contests.    Thus, when
mentioning such tubes on AMPS it is less affrontive to certain contesters
if one uses JEDEC 4-digit numbers.  For example "8171" is less obnoxious
than "4CX10,000D",  8281 is less objectionable than 4CX15,000A, 8169 is
better than 4CX3000A, on and on and on.

>Go to http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/ and click on the picture of the
>transformer (bargain corner) which takes you to
>http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/BarCorn/barcorn.html From there click on
>product code OP1001 which takes you to
>http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/BarCorn/BC_Data/bc_data_1.html
>
>Tubes with handles do look nice dont they?

?  Indeed.  The best part about 'em is the humungous abundance of
available peak emission - if the need to maintain communication arises,
of course.  For example, the 8171 takes up less space than a 4-1000A &
chimney, yet it has over 5 times as much peak emission.  .
.   If you have the opportunity, I recommend unsoldering the anode from a
kaput 8170 or 8171.  The design of the cathode merry-go-round and grid is
an engineering delight.

-  cheers, Alek

Rich...