[AMPS] S units

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] S units
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:13:55 -0400
About 3-4 dB is more common than about six dB, so your
Kenwood looks good.

Now for something to think about. One of the question for getting a
license is how many dB is an S unit. No where, in any reference
standard I've been able to find, is it listed as six dB. Very few if any
receivers use six dB, and most never even tried. The most common
values "tried for" are around five dB or less.

The correct answer for that question would be "what ever it winds
up at".

> For what it is worth... here are this morning's measurements, in the S
> unit department, made on my well aged Kenwood TS-440, with a HP8640B
> source.  I didn't measure S1 as this is almost the resting point of the
> meter.
>

> Signal level (dBm)    Meter Reading

> -100          S2
> -87           S5
> -78           S7
> -73           S9 (note: right on the traditional 50uV point!)

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com