[AMPS] explain this one

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] explain this one
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 03:44:11 -0700

>Hi Alek,
>
>> When I tune up on 10m, I get arcing on the 160m position on the bandswitch
>> to the frame of the switch. This position switches in the 160m padding
>> capacitor. Nothing in the 160m circuit is connected when it's on 10m. The
>> tubes also get extra warm in the 10m position.
>
>What you have is high voltages appearing because of a poor
>switching scheme or wiring error.

?  My guess is that arcing of open 160m Tune padder contacts on another
band could be due to different mechanism.  /See the bandswitch on page 33
of the October, 1990 *QST*/.

>I'd wager if you look, you simply have not tied the tank coil taps
>that aren't being used to the loading cap and the unused turns are
>acting like a step-up transformer.

?  The 160m Tune padder contacts have nothing to do with the coil taps,
Tom.

>> I was thinking of getting one of the AG6K suppressor kits to see if that
>> changed things. I probably will anyway, just for insurance.
>
>I hang a rabbit's foot and dead chicken claw on my amplifier's
>electrical outlet. It is just as effective, costs less, and doesn't hurt
>ten meter performance.

?  a tender nerve. //  Does higher VHF Q sound like a good idea for a
circuit that is supposed to dampen VHF?

-  cheers, Tom

Rich...