[AMPS] Re: Explain This one

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Explain This one
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 08:33:52 -0400

> 1000pF tunes to 29 MHz with about 30 nH. Sounds to me like there's enough
> stray inductance off the leads to give a resonance. I gather that there's
> just a capacitor in series with the wire on ten, so it's a series resonant
> circuit, which I wouldn't expect to have so much effect, but it's
> certainly of the right order of magnitude to be the problem.
>
> 73

You'd have to see some LK-500 wiring and parts values to believe it
Peter. Nothing would suprize me.

But in order to be resonant, the inductance would have to
effectively be across the capacitor. When the lead and cap have an
"open" path at one end, the reactance of that path has to be added
to the circuit formed by the wire inductance and the cap reactance.

Without seeing the wiring and the bandswitch, anything could be
going on.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com