[AMPS] Windows 95/98 Y2K info for your computer

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Windows 95/98 Y2K info for your computer
From: w0opw@yahoo.com (PD W)
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 12:01:15 -0700 (PDT)
 here's some interesting information on setting your
computer date.  I thought I was set up ok until I followed
these instructions. Hope this info is ok for the Amps list
cuz I didn't know where else to put it.

Y2K - PLEASE TAKE NOTE!

SOMETHING EVERYONE NEEDS TO DO TO UPDATE YOUR COMPUTER

 For anyone who may not know this......

 Double click on "My Computer."
 Double click on "Control Panel."
 Double click on "Regional Settings" icon.
 Click on the "Date" tab at the top of the page.

 Where it says, "Short Date Sample" look and see if it
shows a "two
 digit"  year.  Of course it does.  That's the default
setting for
 Windows 95, Windows 98 and NT.  This date RIGHT HERE is
the date that
feeds   the application software and WILL NOT rollover in
the year 2000.
It will
 roll over to 00.
 HERE'S THE FIX....

 Click on the button across from "Short Date Style" and
select the
 option that shows, mm/dd/yyyy.  (Be sure your selection
has four Y's
showing,
 not just two.)  Click apply...

 Then click on "Apply" and then click on "OK" at the
bottom.

 Easy enough to fix.  However, every single installation
(yy) of
 Windows worldwide is defaulted to fail Y2K rollover.

 How many people know about this?  How many people know to
change that?
 What will be the effect?  Who knows!  But this is another
example of
 the pervasiveness and systematic nature of the problem.

 Please pass this on to as many people that you know who
own home
 computers.