[AMPS] What's wrong?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] What's wrong?
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 13:20:04 -0700
OK, I am confused.

I'm sitting down to design the pi-net input circuit for my 2 x 3-500z amp.  I
started by looking at the circuit for a similar amplifier in the 1994 ARRL
handbook.  They use iron powder toroids for the coils.  For example, the 80
meter circuit has cin = 630-940 (adjustable) pf, cout = 820 pf, and the coil is
specified as 21t #20 on a T-50-2 toroid.  Naturally, they don't give the
inductance, but according to the Amidon data sheet, 21 turns on a T50-2 is about
10 uh.

When I run the calculation (Q = 2.5, input impedance 57 ohms) I get cin = 1006,
cout = 984, and l = 2.2 uh.  I think my inductance value is closer to being
right.

Is this just another bug in the handbook?   Or is the bug in my personal
brainware?

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA