[AMPS] SB-220 relay failure analysis

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 relay failure analysis
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:00:38 +0100
During the last CW WPX contest, the antenna changeover relay of my SB-220,
which had been occasionally sticky for a couple of years, finally got to
the point where it was sticking in the standby condition almost continuously.

I'm installing a vacuum relay QSK system, but out of curiosity I took the
relay apart to explore why it failed.  The normally open contacts were all
in fine shape.  The normally-closed RF contacts showed some erosion, but
weren't in bad condition.  To my surprise, though, the normally-closed bias
contact, which supplies 110 VDC cutoff bias to the tubes, was very badly
eroded.  I can't be sure, but it seems likely that this contact was
responsible for the sticking.

Since we usually assume RF hot-switching is the culprit, I thought this
would be worth passing along.  It suggests that even if you don't replace
the relay with a QSK circuit, it might be a good idea to install an
electronic bias switch (a much simpler mod) to protect against this failure
mode.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Sometimes a tower is just a tower