[AMPS] ARD-230 Advanced Radio Devices Amplifer

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ARD-230 Advanced Radio Devices Amplifer
From: Jim" <jdc@ieway.com (Jim)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:59:04 -0700
Hello George......Received the ARD-230 all ok....I have fired it up....The
first thing that happened is that the step start resistor blew up !!
BIG TIME!  I found a wiring error on the terminal strip where the main AC
wiring comes into the amp....a wire had slipped off of the terminal and
someone just put it back on the terminal that they thought it went
on......Well it was the wrong terminal.....So the step start resistor was
connected from 1 side of 120 volts to ground....25 ohms at 120 volts is lots
of  current!  resistor lasted about 5 seconds. Blew apart and shot fire out
the end!......Was one of those gold enclosed Dale resistors....Replaced the
resistor and fixed the wiring error......Had to "jump start" the motor on
the loading cap with a battery. It did not turn.....I am sure that the
grease in the gearbox needs to be replaced......What did you use for grease
?  I fired up the amp this morning and the motor on the loading cap took a
while to get going again......So, I will tear the amp apart and do
this.........I noticed that there is a  small amount of grid current and
plate current reading on the meters......I am sure there is a metering
problem in there some where...I will try to investigate.....I also notice
that the panel "meter lighting" is very dim....What do you think that could
be ? Any suggestions would be welcomed......There seems to be  a dark spot
on the plate choke....like it has over heated somewhat.....Is there any
indication as to what band this happens on ?  The enamel of the wire seems
to be melted together at that point where it got hot.....I will check for
shorted turns....Fascinating how they switch a cap to ground with a vacuum
relay to prevent series resonance......
You are correct is saying that the amp uses top quality parts..

Just some thoughts and observations on the amp......

Oh, by the way.....the same document that you sent me on the mods for the
amp, I also received the same information with the amp!

Kind of interesting.....

Thanks again and 73!!

Jim W7RY