[AMPS] Dentron MLA2500 Question/s

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dentron MLA2500 Question/s
From: zeitler@ibm.net (zeitler@ibm.net)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:30:12 -0700
Doug,
If memory serves me correctly the original 2500 ran around 2200 vdc on the
plate and the 2500B around 1850vdc. Not sure what they changed or why since
it was the same tube config. the whole time. Maybe a different plate xmfr
manufacturer came around.

There was a very well written article in Comm. Quarterly around a year or
two ago. Also a nice article in QST around same time. Both dealt with the
conversion of the amp.

One guy used a pair of 3CX400s and the other a pair of 4CX400s.

>From what I have seen the pair of tetrodes cost abt the same as one of the
triodes.

If you want a very rugged little desk top and the same exact size (even same
cabinet) go with the Dentron Cliperton-L. Not enough L for 160 and the
doorknobs they use as padders are marginal but with the right mods it would
probably be better in the long run. Four of those 572Bs will draw around 1
amp at abt 2100vdc under load. I know from experience as I have had at least
10 in the shack over the past ten years. Four of the Svetlana 572Bs can be
had for around $240. Not bad for an amp that will do around 1400 out with
the stock power supply.

I usually incorporate most of Rich's mods and his web page is THE source for
the right mods.

GL with the hunt!!

BTW you could also talk with Murray Neece k5mDm as he does or did recently
have an MLA-2500 with a single 3CX800 tube. His e-mail is radioranch@qth.com

73s

Lane
Ku7i