R: [AMPS] Where to read Reflected Power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: R: [AMPS] Where to read Reflected Power
From: Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:28:29 +0200
Jim,

the answer is already in your post. If a load is not purely resistive and
same value than source and load, the line act as an impedance transformer
and moving along the line an SWR meter the read value has to change. This is
maximally valid on relatively small SWR values and on 10 meters where short
cables are not so short in term of wavelenght and SWR meters (better not to
speak about some amateur ones) are not enough precise to assure a true 1:1
reading when they do.

If the LPF is placed on line between PA output and tuner, it's not
impossible the slight SWR, as seen by the bird coupler, is also due to an
unwanted impedance transformation caused by the filter.

I wouldn't mind if 50w (0.147 dB) or twice is the reflected over a 1500 of
forward power but I would instead mind to avoid from using bad designed
antennas or mind to adjust the others (known as matchable) able to give
proper impedance and reasonable bandwidth without tuners.

If true that a yagi dipole lenght doesn't affect so much the gain, SWR can
be caused also by wrong parasitics lenght or spacing and this may affect
substantially (some dB/s) the gain and can't be overcomed by any tuner.

It's probably wise to remember that reflected power is only a conventional
unit used to point out a mismatch and some SWR is anyway not the hell.

73,
Mauri I4JMY