[AMPS] Carbon Comp Resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Carbon Comp Resistors
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 06:18:28 -0700

>Hello All,
>
>I am rebuilding an SB-230 amplifier.  I need some carbon comp resistors for
>the swamping network on the input.  I need 15-20 1500 ohm 2 watt CC
>resistors.  Anyone have any or know of a source besides Surplus Sales?

?  [chortle] Panasonic/Matsushita makes a 3w-rated resistor that will
easily dissipate 10w continuously in free air.  My guess is that with a
100w driver, you need a capability of dissipating around 70 w pep.
Digikey carries these resistors.  They cost around %0.50 each.  //  One
of the disadvantages of a SB-230 is no tuned input.  Thus, virtually no
positive half-cycle.  This problem can largely be corrected by putting a
ultrafast-recovery 1A diode in series with the shunt load so that the
load conducts only when the tube is cutoff.    In my opinion, there would
be an advantage in adding a resistor in series with the cathode.  With a
27w drive requirement, you have power to burn, literally.  I would use 20
to 40 ohms plus enough shunt R to make the input look like 50 ohms.

-  cheers, Jeff