[AMPS] toroid 4cx250/350 ideas

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] toroid 4cx250/350 ideas
From: nospam4me@juno.com (nospam4me@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 23:01:19 -0700
re: the current 4cx350 project thread.

I've done this amplifier project once already. I've actually gone
back to look through my notes and final as-built design. There
were some issues about the 4:1 toroid. Although the numbers
worked out on paper, I had a hard time getting things to work
with the actual circuit.
Maybe it was the ideal part values vs what ends up in the mix.
What I ended up with was the 9:1 toroid and termination
resistor circuit. That allowed me to provide ample drive with the
Icom 511 (which is going up for sale soon) 10 watt output.

I would have preferred to use the 4:1 toroid, but I could never
get the circuit to preform as well I expected and calculated for
the 52MHz band. Going to 9:1 was just easier and has proven
to be stable.

hope that helps
cheers
skipp

>If I have 10W and I want 60V and half the power
>is going into my tubes and half into my resistor it looks
>like a 1:6 turns ratio and an 1800ohm resistor will get me
>the right swing from my 10W and look  like 50ohm to the
>exciter.
>
>So, why do I need tuned input?

You need 60v pk to drive the grids.  10w-rms / 50-ohms is 32v pk.  A
bifilar toroidial transformer would increase the potential to about 60v
peak.  The terminating R would be 200 ohms.