[AMPS] Hold on - SWR meter placement

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Hold on - SWR meter placement
From: w7iuv@axtek.com (Larry Molitor)
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 23:27:23 +0100
At 01:25 PM 10/6/99 -0500, Jon Ogden wrote:
>Perhaps Mr. Maxwell has yet another explanation.  I am interested in
>that.  But when speaking in terms of theory and the reasons behind it,
>you always start with the ideal case which can easily be proven
>mathematically and then make exceptions for real world behaviours.
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>KE9NA

Jon, I have to second that motion. I recall reading the text in question. I
don't remember much about it, except that I questioned it's application in
the real "real world". I should dig that out and revisit it.

Have you ever done slotted line measurements? As I recall from years ago,
they sorta depended on the VSWR being the same all along the transmission
line! Of course, all our "modern SWR bridges" and power meters all sense
current. Think about that for a bit. Steve said it much better then I ever
could in hie post.

Way back in the dark ages, my novice class peer group was divide into two
camps. Those with enough money to buy a "SWR METER" and those who couldn't.
Those without used bed springs, screen doors, porch rails or anything else
you could get an alligator clip on for antennas and made lots contacts. The
SWR meter crowd pruned dipoles to the Nth degree and never made QSO's
because they *knew* you couldn't get out with a 1.5 to 1 SWR. This SWR
business is a perfect example of witchcraft and superstition winning out
over science and technology.

73,

Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@arrl.net