[AMPS] RE: the big "Good Buddy Band Amps"...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE: the big "Good Buddy Band Amps"...
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:55:03 -0700

>What does he pull it with, a cab over Peterbuilt??

? Close...  ...   '95 Kenworth.

>A bit more overkill than I was thinking about.
>I am more interested in knowing if anyone makes a switching power supply that
>can be used to produce the HV for say a pair of 3-500Z or 4CX800 from the
>stock alternator system (read 13.8V) used in all cars/trucks.

?  For high power using batteries, it takes a 50vdc system.  Ordinary car
alternators will easily put out 50v at 30mph.  Put four 12v batts in the
trunk, and you will have plenty of suds.

>Yea, I know I could make up an amp with transistors but I would still have to
>wind all them damn toroids to make the filter boards and then relay switch
>them.  Not my cup of tea.

The mobile antenna itself makes an ok bandpass filter for all except the
third harmonic.

Cheers  Mike