[AMPS] tetrode as triode

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] tetrode as triode
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:49:20 +0008

Pino wrote...

> i have a 4cx1500b which i want to operate as a triode, mainly to avoid
> messing with screen and grid supplies. What does the grid dissipation become
> when strapping screen and control grids together? How does one determine the
> bias voltage in the absence of data? Whats are the pros and cons of doing
> this?

I don't have my data here with me, but as I recall, the 4cxnnn
tetrodes are NOT good candidates for using as triodes.  They become a
low-mu triode with a very fragile grid.  If you want to drive the
cathode, and ground the control grid, you should still plan on
running the screen grid at its normal potential w/r the cathode, i.e.
NOT zero.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT