[AMPS] Reduction Drive

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Reduction Drive
From: johnf@futurenet.co.za (John Fielding)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:25:17 +0200
Hi Mike,

Grease is a mixture of oil and soap!   Soap's main constitutients are caustic
soda,
lanolin or some-other fatty animal or synthetic oily material.  Grease and
plastic often
don't exist well together.  I suspect that the black tar may be material
leeched out of
the plastic, possibly carbonous based.

Flush the gear box well with a benign solvent, such as kerosene (paraffin) and
then wash
in hot soapy dish-washer liquid and dry in natural sun light.  I have used
Castrol LM
grease satisfactorily for other jobs.  Avoid the Moly types as they contain a
high
percentage of colloidal graphite which "loves" plastic!

Hope this helps.

John    ZS5JF

To: <amps@contesting.com>