[AMPS] alpha 76a prob./ideas?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] alpha 76a prob./ideas?
From: N6BUU@aol.com (N6BUU@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:11:48 EST
my two hole alpha is sick, and i am looking for answers. one day it was
working fine (about 600 watts out low tap) the next week, not so good!  if
say i tune it up on 7.1 mhz apply drive, plt runs 600 mills. but i get no
indication of grid current. plt voltage is approx. 1600 volts. this gives an
input of about 900+ watts input. but my output is only about 170 watts out
keydown! (yes, the 8874 tubes have been changed).  if i key the amp with NO
DRIVE i get an indication of approx. 8-9 ma on the grid meter. this appears
to be the zener current of the 5.1 volt zener (1N4733) used for amp bias.
(for those who are familiar 76a, it's the current thru R-116 10 ohm  1/2watt)
the problem seems to be on all bands. the orig. set of tubes had very few
hours on them, as the amp had been unused,stored (i had a rfi problem) until
early 1999. so far in checking, i have not found any obvious indications of
parts failure or bad solder connections. any input will be appreciated.
73   hank