[AMPS] 4CX1600B Amplifier in new handbook

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4CX1600B Amplifier in new handbook
From: w4eto@rmi.net (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 08:28:01 -0700
Hi Ian & all..

May also be worth mentioning that (I think) the original Svetlana-built Russian
military tube was the 4CX1600A, which is similar but not identical to the newer
4CX1600B. My impression is that the "B" version may have been derived
specifically for commercial export sales - has a bigger and  more efficient air
cooler, greater power rating, and specific applications data for SSB. How much
the increased ratings are due to the cooler, possible internal changes (which I
doubt), or a less conservative ratings philosophy for ham/export applications
is unclear.

Can anyone (Ian?) confirm, clarify, correct or add to the above?

Incidentally, Alpha/Power designed a new industrial rf amp around 1600Bs about
2 years ago but switched to more expensive Eimac tubes because Svetlana
couldn't give us a convincing forecast of adequate delivery volume, at least at
that time.

73,

Dick   W0ID