[AMPS] MRF150

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MRF150
From: watson@epiloglaser.com (George K. Watson)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:37:54 -0700
The EB104 kit is a design by a gentleman named Helge Grandberg of Motorola. He
is a sort of
god for solid state amp designers. As far as solid state amps go, it is as good
a performer as you will find.

Some advice:
Move lots of air over these devices.
Use a thick (3/8") copper heat spreader.
Use a big heat sink.
Build VSWR protection and overdrive protection in.
To cover the HF bands you will need 6 lowpass filters.

You may get close to half as rugged as your tube.

CC's splitters and combiners work FB.

To get a gallon out you will not need much drive with 8 MRF 150's in the EB104
configuration (2 modules,
4 MOSFETS apiece) , about 15 watts.

You will, however need 2.15 KW DC input at 50V, about 45Amps for good measure;)
This is not easy to find.

In short, I believe that this project is a more difficult undertaking then most
single device GG tube amplifiers. Even
with the EB104 supplies from CC, this is not a kit project. Of course it is a
little less dangerous then building
a tube amplifier. You will wind a boatload more torroids, need more control and
protection circuitry and have some
difficult layout problems to solve.

I run MRF150's for a gallon here and am working on the design for another
amplifier using higher voltage MOSFETS,
so I am an SS believer.

(I also have a GG amp based on the GS-31b russian tube, 6m only)

Thanks and 73,
George K. Watson
K0IW