SV: [AMPS] Tetrode Amp Help/receivers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] Tetrode Amp Help/receivers
From: irosky@yahoo.com (igor rosky)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:14:40 -0800 (PST)
We will all be dead or ham radio will not exist when
the current crop of manufacturers deliver a receiver
with a 3rd order intercept point of +30dbm and low
phase noise. All the current crop of top line radios
have receivers that are really terrible with high
levels of noise. All we seem to get from these
manufacturers year after year is the same mickey mouse
gadgets and features, not good basic and simple RF
engineering.
 Likewise it is quite ironic that the so called "old
tube" technology has not been surpassed in 3rd order
IMD performance. The vast majority of modern
transmitting tubes exeeding the IMD performance of the
solid state drivers. We might laugh at the G2daf
design, but at the end of the day a modern small
mobile radio and a 12 volt solid state PA, the result
is about the same, tons of IMD. Worst still is the guy
who fires this combination up with a big beam. We amp
reflector devotees can rest on our laurels, because
what we build can truly be claimed to be state of the
art, not so the rest of ham radio equipment we use.

Igor

To: <amps@contesting.com>