[AMPS] 4CX250 in G2DAF Circuit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4CX250 in G2DAF Circuit
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:25:09 -0700

>The second test with an 813 was somewhat discounted because I have no specs
>from anyone on what the distortion products are when grid driven with a
>regulated screen.

?  The 813 is not linear in grid-driven service.   For linear service,
G-G is the only game in town.

>Suppose they are -18 db 3rd order distortion.  That would
>make the test meaningless.

?  indeed.

>At least with the 4CX250B, I have the published
>standard of -25 db.  That published standard is only 3 db less than the
>results you arrived at with the G2DAF - which is close enough for me to
>wonder about the test conditions and the standard.

?  You seem to have missed the point that the -22db measurement was
relative to Peak Envelope Power.  Eimac does not use this reference
point.  -24db Eimac = -30db.

>A number of test questions arise.  What was the time constant for charging
>the screen of the tubes?  If there was a delay, there would be distortion.
>Suppose the screen voltage could follow the drive exactly?

?  The only way that the screen will follow the drive exactly is to
connect the screen to the driven grid and disconnect the screen bypass C.
 .  This can be done up to very roughly 100kHz.

>Would the
>results have been different?  What was the distortion of the amps in the
>"normal" giid driven configuration?

?  For the 4cx250B amplifier, the distortion level with a regulated
screen and zero grid current was approx. -30db below pep.  For the 813s,
they were eventually converted to G_G.  The distortion level was approx.
33db below pep.

>I would never build a G2DAF amplifier and put it on the air without testing
>it under all circumstances.  Perhaps that is the big drawback.

? There is no drawback if you stick religiously to the two-tone test and
wear a suitable disguise at ham gatherings.  .

cheers, Colin