[AMPS] Excessive Grid Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Excessive Grid Current
From: fisher@pldi.net (Fisher)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:53:21 -0000
Am new to list.

Just acquired an Ameritron AL-80 (grounded grid - single 3-500Z) - not the
AL-80A or B.

If tune up as per instructions with drive to produce 350ma of plate current
then have output of only around 300 or 400 watts.  Drive power to produce
that level of plate current is approx 50-60 watts.

If I go ahead and increase drive to maximum of 100 watts as per instructions
then output increases to 700 to 900 watts - but - grid current rises to as
much as 500 ma with plate current at 600 to 700 ma.

No load voltage is 2700 - under full load it drops to 2200 or so.

It does not do above consistently.  On 80M increasing drive power from 60 to
100 W may have no affect on output and grid and plate current.

I don't think the amp was doing above when I first started testing it.  But,
no smoke has been produced and I don't think has gotten excessively hot.

An oscillation problem?  A metering problem?  Am presently running it on
117AC into a home-brew soft start relay which came with the amp.

Any ideas before I tear into it?

73, Lu K5YP