[AMPS] BeO Cautions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] BeO Cautions
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 15:17:56 +0000
At 08:51 PM 12/25/99 -0000, Martin John Hallsworth wrote:
>Seriously though I am aware of BeO in many areas of our
>hobby and you should treat any substance as potentially toxic.
>
>PCB Transformer Oil - we all know this is now banned in many
>countries
>
>The vapour from flux in solder is harmful and in an industrial
>situation it is extracted away from the operator. So hands up
>all of us who have a workbench / soldering station with extraction
>then ?

It is worth differentiating between substances that are immediately toxic,
those with potentially harmful effects from long-term, occupational
exposure and those with long-term adverse environmental impacts.  I believe
the transformer oil with PCBs is in the latter category because of concerns
about the persistence of dioxin, a potential carcinogen, in soil and ground
water.  Good reason to ban widespread use.  However, I suspect that few of
us do enough soldering every day over a long-enough period to warrant
concern over flux fumes.

Happy holidays!

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com