[AMPS] The 3/2 Power Law

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] The 3/2 Power Law
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Lamb)
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 06:58:04 -0800
Reference on Eimac's definition of the 3/2 power law.

Page 97, Care and Feeding of Power Grid Tubes, copyright 1967 by Varian,
third Printing 1978.

Re: Pulling out of hat.

Rich has cited the measurement method used and the results on the received
end of one transmitted signal.  However, he has never documented the
equipment used at the transmitting station.  From earlier statements, I am
advised that it was Norm, W6EDD at the transmitting end.  One published
circuit from Norm is a G2DAF variation.  That circuit has a substantial flaw
and would have to splatter.  Publication of this circuit would indicate that
Norm did not understand the G2DAF circuitry and did not understand linear
amplifiers in general.  That circuit would have to distort.  Perhaps Norm
tried the genuine G2DAF circuitry, but his carelessness in publishing a
defective circuit - which was claimed to be clean - would cast doubt about
any of his work.  So, reception of his signal using his unspecified and
undocumented equipment under his unknown operating conditions is what I call
"pulling the numbers out of a hat".  Arriving at  inflexible conclusions
based upon this sort of test and documentation is unscientific.

Colin  K7FM