[AMPS] Watt meters and PEP

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Watt meters and PEP
From: John_Nelson@compuserve.com (John Nelson)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 14:40:38 -0500
Message text written by "Ian White, G3SEK"

>Perhaps a certain hi-fi journalist could comment?<

If that was a reference to my good self, I'm no longer a hi-fi journalist
within the meaning of the act -- chiefly because consumer audio nowadays is
dominated by bullshit, hype and assorted marketing-driven crap.
"Journalists" in that field are just fellow-travellers of a massive PR and
marketing industry, and you simply wouldn't believe the amount of collusion
and handshaking that takes place behind the scenes. The UK magazine
industry being what it is, there's no room whatsoever for anything
resembling engineering-led writing -- or indeed anything faintly critical
of the advertisers, without whom the magazines simply wouldn't exist.

I could tell you some fairly astonishing stories about some British hi-fi
"journalists", including one quite well-known radio amateur. Suffice it to
say that "reviews" of hi-fi equipment need to be taken with somewhat more
salt than could be carried in the average American freight train.

73 John
GW4FRX