[AMPS] a MORE USEFUL REPLY

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] a MORE USEFUL REPLY
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil T. (VA3UX))
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 19:36:59 -0500

At 11:24 AM 1/22/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>>>Amidon is Not a manufacturer of ferrite material.
>>>

>>What a completely worthless reply to the original message. He didn't say
>>that Amidon manufactures anything Rich, he quoted a spec from the Amidon
>>catalog.  The Amidon catalog quotes specs provided by Amidon's suppliers.
>>Amidon is a distributor - everyone already knows that.
>>
>I have the ferrite manufacturer's catalog, Phil.  It has some different
>specifications than Amidon's catalog.  . I confirmed that, at least in
>this application, with Type-61 material, core saturation begins just
>below14MHz.  Why use a 10MHz rated material when 50MHz rated material is
>available?  //  It is my opinion that a lot of ham testing of ferrites is
>done at less than full suds.   With QRPP,  Type 61 material tested ok
>here at 30MHz.

Now this is a more useful reply. Resist the temptation to distill a
perfectly good mutli-sentence thought, down into a meaningless one-line
detached statement.

Amidon's catalog states the same information that you have provided and you
are correct. That information pertains to the core being used in
conventional transformer service. Amidon also mentions the extension of the
useful frequency range to 200 Mhz, but with the proviso that this is done
only at LOW power - as you have also confirmed.

You have the right information Rich...you just have to be able to
"get-it-out" so it can help others.

Phil