[AMPS] filament rheostats

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] filament rheostats
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:57:33 -0000
Rich says:

>So when are amplifier manufacturers going to get off of their lazy butts
>and start building amplifiers. with a filament adj. rheostat and a means
>of measuring filament potential?

I guess they don't because of number 1, cost, and number 2, the capability
of allowing people to wind up the volts - 'gee, Wilma, you get more output'.

Better, but even more expensive, is a regulated filament supply that is
current limited so the inrush current can't exceed twice the normal current,
and doesn't vary with line volts. You can afford to build that sort of thing
into a home brew amp.......but commercially it's a no-no.

73

Peter G3RZP