[AMPS] Diodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Diodes
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 07:17:25 -0700

>measures wrote:
>
>I wrote:
>>>Therefore in his professional view and that of the diode manufacturers
>>>he consulted, it is not necessary to use equalization components - so
>>>that's what the Handbooks now say.
>
>>hardly
>
>Erm, don't you mean "amen"?

no.  My position is that "not necessary" is not The compelling reason to
avoid equalization.

>> -  page 11-9 of the Handbook:
>>"In fact shunt resistors produce a low impedance source of damaging
>>current to any diode that may have reached avalanche potential."
>
>>It seems a bit curious that you missed the statement about damaging
>>current.
>
>Wake up, Rich - I was agreeing with you!

Your position appears to be
'not necessary.    The p.11-9 Handbook statement goes one step beyond
saying not necessary".  It  says "damaging current".  In other words, if
the diodes are perfectly matched, equalizers are not necessary.  However,
if the diodes are not perfectly matched in piv, "damaging current" can be
produced by the equalizer itself. .

>>>Depends who's writing it...  and also who's reading it  :-)
>>>

>I rest my case.

cheers, Ian