[AMPS] N Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] N Connectors
From: w7iuv@nis4u.com (Larry Molitor)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 22:54:00 +0000
At 07:27 AM 2/25/00 -0800, Michael Tope wrote:

>Does anyone know the RF voltage/current rating (at sea level) of a typical
>type N connector.

During some research activities I did a number of years ago, I discovered
MIL specs that suggested the max power for "N" connectors was approximately
800 watts at 150 MHz. If you look at that connector closely, you will see
that the internals are exactly the same dimensions as a BNC connector. One
conservative approach would be to limit power to that which you would run
through a BNC.

Now having said all that, I have for years run about 1400 watts through BNC
connectors used on my old EME array on 2 meters. Never had a failure. Also
I run full legal on most bands through N's, with never a failuure in the 27
years or so that I have used them on outdoor connections.

If the coax you use with the connector is rated for the power/frequency,
your assembly techniques are above reproach, and you always maintain a low
VSWR in the system, you will never have a problem.

Good luck,

Larry - W7IUV