SV: [AMPS] AL-80 / SB-1000 circuit improvements

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] AL-80 / SB-1000 circuit improvements
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 07:28:07 -0800
sm5ki wrote:

> Rich you now said:
>
> "4.  disregard the users' manual's ok of more than 500mA of anode current.
>  No 3-500Z/8008 manufacturer has Ever rated this tube at more than 400mA."

We've had this discussion numerous times in the past.  I have an SB1000.  The
manual describes a tuning procedure that allows 500 ma current for a short
period only, so that the tank circuit will be optimally loaded under PEAK
conditions in SSB service.  The manual is quite clear that you MUST reduce drive
to a level that will give NO MORE THAN 400 MA for CW use.  It also suggests that
the 'modulation crest' in SSB service shouldn't exceed 400 ma, although it isn't
clear how you determine that.  The manual does NOT recommend operation at 500
ma.

I asked the designer of the amp (who Rich declines to name, but is W8JI) and he
confirmed that this was his intent.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA