[AMPS] FAILURE OF PARASITIC RESISTORS IN AL-811X AMPLIFIER

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] FAILURE OF PARASITIC RESISTORS IN AL-811X AMPLIFIER
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:27:54 -0600
on 3/1/00 9:15 AM, measures at 2@vc.net wrote:

> Any current transient in the anode's VHF-resonant circuit, produces
> damped-wave ringing.  I have heard dozens of reports where a big-bang was
> heard when the ZSAC switched on or switched off -- with no RF being
> applied.

It's not necessarily any ringing transient.  VCOs (real oscillators) are not
started from a transient but basically oscillate due to the thermal noise of
the transistors starting things off.  Same thing with an amp.  If the gain
and phase margins are wrong, the thermal noise can start things rolling and
from there it just goes and goes.

73,

Jon
KE9NA