[AMPS] tuning up a tetrode amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] tuning up a tetrode amp
From: w6rw@earthlink.net (Michael S. Mitchell, W6RW)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 10:52:38 -0800
Hi Lane....I own a homebrew 4CX1500B amplifier......the most important thing to
watch in the tune up procedure is the screen current......the screen in a
4CX1500B only has 12 watts of dissipation available....
I generally adjust the tune control for a dip in the plate current and the load
control for a dip in the screen current.....I dip the plate first without a lot
of drive and then as I start to add drive, I adjust the load control for minimum
screen current. After that, I tweek the two controls for maximum power out while
watching the screen current to keep it as low as possible. Just remember with
350 volts of screen bias, it only takes a little over 34 milliamps of screen
current to be over 12 watts of the maximum scrren dissipation available. I try
to keep the scrren current under 5 miiliamps when I am operating the amp. The
grid of a 4CX1500B has zero watts of grid dissipation available.....so I don't
watch the grid current because if I ever saw any at all the grid would probably
be toasted anyway. The 4CX1500B sings right along with 3KV on the plates drawing
an amp of plate current.....Nice Tube!!

I hope this helps...73 es cul de Mike/W6RW