[AMPS] Globar Resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Globar Resistors
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 17:49:05 -0600

> Dan Hearn, N5AR wrote:
>
> >I have been using these resistors (Globars) in parasitic suppressors for many
> >years . Has anyone ever had one of these fail or change value without a
> >change in external appearance?

> Like you Dan, I've used the small Globars for years for parasitic
> suppressors and now, more recently for glitch protection and never found
> any problem whatsoever.  I also saw them in use for some commercial
> multi-kW amps, by Create Eng., with the same units.
> Marv, W6FR

I thought everyone might like to know what a suppressor looks like that
is made by Eimac for their 4-1000A. I have several, removed from Eimac
plasma generators that used a pair of 4X1's.

The resistor is a Carborundum 885 SP 100K, 10 ohm resistor. The coil
is two turns of 1/2 inch wide silver plated copper strap , tightly wound
over the resistor. Horseshoe-shaped silver plated brass spring clamps
hold the strap in place, and make contact with the resistor. No soldering
is involved, and the resistor can be easily removed for measurements and
testing. These things probably have several thousand hours on them, and
they look like they just came out of the box!

I have used smaller Carborundum 773 3P-6, 50 ohm units from Surplus Sales
of NE for years on large glass tube amps with 100% success and 0% failures.

IMHO, most suppressors in modern-day "store-bought" amps are as under-
engineered as the rest of components therein.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC