[AMPS] interlocks

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] interlocks
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 14:32:54 -0700
At 11:47 PM -0500 3/3/00, owner-amps-digest@contesting.com (RF
Amplifier Discussion Dige wrote:
>Multi-pole HV connectors are hard to find. Another alternative is to use
>a coaxial HV-rated connector for the B+ lead and a multi-pole connector
>to carry B-, the main chassis ground and also that "Enable" line that
>Tom mentioned.
>
>The Enable line makes sure that if that connector is not in place - and
>with it the chassis ground and B- return - the HV supply cannot start.
>(For example, it can be the DC feed to the mains contactor in the HV
>supply.)

A simple way I have used to make sure that connector is in place:

(Used with the 40 kV Rowe and Caton connectors, arc over is costly.
These connectors have an RTV rubber insulation which is compressed
when they are mated, to squeeze out the air gaps.)

A machined ring is loose around the male plug, which is made like a
flat flange.
Microswitch button on the chassis, near the female socket. Now when
the plug is in, the flange surrounds it and the button is depressed -
the interlock is made up. However, my interlocks are fed back in a
totally different connector and cable, and are 'fail safe' so that a
broken connection opens them.

John
K5PRO