[AMPS] differences in 4-1000 sockets

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] differences in 4-1000 sockets
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil T. (VA3UX))
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 19:14:57 -0500
Looks like everyone is preoccupied with a discussion on vibrating germs of
some sort, so I'll tell you what I can about the sockets.

I have used the cast aluminum socket and have never had a problem that I
could attribute to the socket itself.  I also know of several 4-1000 amps
locally that use the metal socket without any problems. Despite the
apparent good local experience, I have heard of instability problems and
occasionally cooling problems associated with the cast socket. Here's what
I've seen that seems to work with respect to the cast socket :

        1) The air hole portion of the socket is cut off on a band saw to
provide
a larger area for air flow.     Enthusiastic types have gone so far as to
"port and polish" the new opening to further improve    air flow.

        2) Grid grounding is accomplished with very liberal use of 1/2" wide
copper strapping.

This is what I've seen in amps that do NOT experience the rumored problems
with the metal socket.  I also had an email from someone last year that
reported no problems with the metal socket.

During  a phone conversation with Eimac a couple of years ago, Eimac highly
recommended the newer style plastic socket over the older metal socket, for
the same reason's already cited.  It's possible that the problems with the
metal socket are more pronounced with the 4-1000 used as a tetrode( grid
driven service), rather than when it is used in a quasi-triode
configuration (grounded grid - both grids strapped together).

That's as much as I know on this subject.

Phil