[AMPS] Power Handling of Resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Power Handling of Resistors
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 09:01:32 -0600
on 3/8/00 07:37, Tom Rauch at w8ji@contesting.com wrote:

>> What I am saying here is, that if the capacitor bank in a 5KW, 4000 VDC
>> power supply, with 16 or 32 uF of capacitance discharges through an arc
>> (however it is initiated) into a bandswitch or other component, the
>> discharge will take place  so quickly that it will be totally unexpected
>> (unanticipated) with a resultant bang and explosion with accompanying
>> light that all that will be left are crispy critters .  Obviously this is
>> the result of currents and voltages of such magnitude and such  short
>> duration as to vaporize metal.
>
> Please explain how the energy moves freely from the filter
> capacitors to the bandswitch, or to any other point in the circuit,
> without a component failure that occurs BEFORE the big bang.

I would also like to know how DC voltage from a DC power supply can pass
through a DC blocking capacitor and destroy the bandswitch.

If you want to introduce fundamental RF voltages into the equation, that's
another story.

Jon

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na