[AMPS] Shipping Valuable Equipment

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Shipping Valuable Equipment
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:46:21 -0500
Recently, I shipped a very expensive H.F. amplifier ($5K+) to a purchaser
who responded to a posted ad on rec.radio.swap or eHam's classified section.
The amplifier was shipped as promised, and according to U.P.S. records was
delivered to the purchaser.  The next day, the purchaser informed me that he
never received the amplifier and that (through a long story), was shipped to
his next door neighbor who denied having received the shipment.  Who has the
amp?  Nobody knows for sure, but the purchaser wants his money returned in
full.  Is the purchaser trying to get U.P.S. to pay for an amp he has hidden
in his possession?  Maybe, maybe not.  I am awaiting confirmation of the
receiver's signature and the outcome of U.P.S.'s investigation.

What is my point?  My point is that in recent postings for equipment, I have
begun to use the term "F.O.B. - Jacksonville" in my offers to sell
equipment.  Under the U.C.C. (Uniform Commercial Code), a contract is formed
for the sale of goods based on the purchaser's acceptance of the offer,
exactly on my terms.  F.O.B. (Free on Board) means much more than who pays
the freight: By stating this term in your offer to sell, it puts the
purchaser on notice that OWNERSHIP of the goods transfers from the seller to
the purchaser at the point of shipment.  Any loss of value or subsequent
liability transfers to the purchaser immediately upon the shipper's
acceptance to make delivery.

Just something to consider the next time you want to sell something of
value.

-Paul, W9AC