[AMPS] Practical PI Nets

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Practical PI Nets
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:07:31 -0500
I must agree with all who recommend the Almost All Digital Electronics
L/C meter. It is one of my most-used pieces of test gear. It is about
the size of 2 packs of cigarettes, and battery powered, making it ideal
to carry around at flea markets to measure coils and caps. I have lost
count on the number of Pi and Pi-L networks that I have set up with this
little device. After L1, L2, C1, and C2 have been set to the W5FD formula,
I simply put a resistor from the plate cap to ground  of a value that equals
the plate load impedance from the formula. I then insert the output of my
MFJ-259B into the amp RF output socket. I dial up the frequency of interest
on the 259-B and  touch up C1 and C2 until the 259-B reads 50 ohms. Q can
then be checked using the handbook formula, and you are ready to apply
power. (don't forget to remove the resistor; it tends to stink when powered up!)
This entire exercise almost takes less time than it takes to tell about it.

I have had several  dealings with Neil @ Almost-All Digital. All were extremely
enjoyable. Tech support and parts are as near as your phone. E-Mail for Neil
is neil@aade.com  Tel. # is (253)351-9316.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC
Subject: Re: [AMPS] Practical PI Nets