[AMPS] Dumb directly heated cathode amp operational questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dumb directly heated cathode amp operational questions
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 00:01:51 -0700

>OK, I'm new to using HF amplifiers. Here's some rudimentary questions for
>everyone. I just bought a Henry 2K-4. It has 2 3-500Z's inside and the blower
>makes a fine noise. Not noisier than we have a right to expect but noisy none
>the less.
>
>My inclination is to use the amp when I can't make the contact otherwise.
>That's what the rules say and I'm fine with that. I'll leave it off 90% of
>the time and turn it on when I need it.
>
>1) The Henry manual doesn't say how long to leave the amp on before transmit.
>Some places I've read that directly heated cathode tubes are ready to load
>after 3-5 seconds. Is that reasonable for this amp? What is?

One second is plenty.  The 3-500Z/8008 can not be damaged by insufficient
warm up.

>2) After I've been running the limit in an SSB QSO what's the recommended
>cool>down period before I shut the power off?

My guess is c. ten-seconds cooldown for unprocessed SSB and 30-seconds
for RTTY.  .

>3) For those of you who run 3-500Z amps, do you turn the amp on and off
>frequently when operating at one sitting? I'd be concerned about thermal
>shock to the filaments shorting the tube life if I made a habit of this. But
is
>sure is noisy...

A step-start would be in order.

>4) Would a blower control relay that started the blower on transmit and
>turned the blower off (or down) after the cool down period work. Is there
some
>reason to have the blower on when there is no current through the tubes to
heat
>things up?

The approx. 73w of heat from the filament current will melt the solder
out of pins 1 and 5 unless cooling air is present.

> That would allow me to not cycle the filaments just for the sake of
>getting the noise level down. I could even set up this blower control circuit
to run
>the blower the cool down period after I turn the power switch off.

3-500Z amplifiers with superior cooling to the Henrys are the TL-922 and
the SB-220.  The 220 is definitely the quietest.   ''Air system'' sockets
cause the tubes to operate at elevated temps.

cheers,  Bill

end