[AMPS] s meter calibration

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] s meter calibration
From: w7iuv@nis4u.com (Larry Molitor)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:29:22 +0100
At 06:00 PM 6/13/00 -0500, K0FF wrote:
>Larry, nice summary. In the "old days" things were a LOT simpler. ALL the
>DXers in our area (St. Louis at the time) used the same (Collins) radios,
>and at least once a year we would drag our receivers and Bird slugs to one
>fellows house or the other and calibrate on the same instruments. Then when
>we compared signal reading on HF via the 2M "DX tip-off Frequency", the only
>variables were the antennas/feedlines/and locations.
>George, K0FF

That's the idea, George. If you have a few reliable guys in the local area
with similar calibrations, it sure does make comparisons easier. And yes,
the variables mentioned are factors to be considered. But most of the time,
relative readings are all that's required. Antenna F/B, amp gain, S/N are
all relative measurements. Absolutes are not very important, but accurate
delta's sure are.

73,

Larry - W7IUV