[AMPS] Solid State Relays

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Solid State Relays
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 11:34:00 -0700
I once did a measurement of line voltage transients in an
industrial laboratory over a 24 hr period using a special
transient recorder which counted the number and sorted them
by amplitude. There were a number between 500 volts and 1kv
of short duration.The lab used quite a few temperature
controllers with triac and mercury relay switches.
  I would use some sort of MOV's on the primary of a PS with
SS relays if they aren't already inside the devices.
  I have always preferred large open frame relays which can
be checked visually.
  On the other hand, I know of an accident when a technician
dropped a screwdriver which closed a power relay and destroyed
hard drives in the computer center of a major oil company in
Dallas. This occurred in a seismic processing center and caused
a multi million dollar loss of important data. I guess there is
no absolutely safe system.
73, Dan, N5AR

e: ss relays in amplifier hv supplies